Brief Curriculum Vitae
Jochen Mannhart is a director at the Max Planck Institute of Solid State Research in Stuttgart, Germany, leading the department "Solid State Quantum Electronics".
He studied Physics at the University of Tübingen (Germany), receiving his diploma in 1986 and his PhD in 1987. Subsequently, he worked as a visiting scientist at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights and as a Research Staff Member and Manager at the IBM Zurich Research Laboratory in Rüschlikon, Switzerland. From 1996 to 2011, he was a chaired professor at the Center for Electronic Correlations and Magnetism at the University of Augsburg.
His research interests focus on the properties of interfaces in complex electronic materials. The efforts of the various teams he was working in resulted in the discovery and development of bicrystal Josephson junctions and SQUIDs, the enhancement of critical currents of high-Tc superconductors by grain alignment, which is the basis for the modern high-Tc superconducting cables, the first imaging of individual atoms with subatomic resolution, and the fabrication of the first all-oxide FETs.
Jochen Mannhart has received numerous awards for his research, including the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz-Preis of the German Science Foundation and the Europhysics Prize 2014.
Key Publications 2006-2019
- Lossless Currents at High Temperatures
J. Mannhart and D. Braak
Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism 32 (1), 17-21 (2019)
- Field Effect Transistors with Sub-Micrometer Gate Lengths Fabricated from LaAlO3-SrTiO3-Based Heterostructures
Woltmann, C., T. Harada, H. Boschker, V. Srot, P.A. van Aken, H. Klauk, and J. Mannhart
Phys. Rev. Appl. 4, 064003 (2015)
- Interface Superconductor with Gap Behaviour Like a High-Temperature Superconductor
Richter, C., H. Boschker, W. Dietsche, E. Fillis-Tsirakis, R. Jany, F. Loder, L.F. Kourkoutis, D.A. Muller, J.R. Kirtley, C.W. Schneider, and J. Mannhart
Nature 502, 528 (2013)
- Coexistence of Magnetic Order and Two-dimensional Superconductivity at LaAlO3/SrTiO3 Interfaces
Li, L., C. Richter, J. Mannhart, and R.C. Ashoori
Nature Physics 7, 762-766 (2011)
- Very Large Capacitance Enhancement in a Two-dimensional Electron System
Li, L., C. Richter, S. Paetel, T. Kopp, J. Mannhart, and R.C. Ashoori
Science 332, 825-828 (2011)
- Oxide Interfaces — An Opportunity for Electronics
Mannhart, J. and D.G. Schlom
Science 327, 1607-1611 (2010)
- Oxide Nanoelectronics on Demand
Cen, C., S. Thiel, J. Mannhart, and J. Levy
Science 323, 1026-1030 (2009)
- Electric Field Control of the LaAlO3/SrTiO3 Interface Ground State
Caviglia, A.D., S. Gariglio, N. Reyren, T. Schneider, M. Gabay, S. Thiel, G. Hammerl, J. Mannhart, and J.-M. Triscone
Nature 456, 624-627 (2008)
- Nanoscale Control of an Interfacial Metal-Insulator Transition at Room Temperature
Ceng, C., S. Thiel, G. Hammerl, C.W. Schneider, K.E. Andersen, C.S. Hellberg, J. Mannhart, and J. Levy.
Nature Materials 7, 298-302 (2008)
- Superconducting Interfaces between Insulating Oxides
Reyren, N., S. Thiel, A.D. Caviglia, L. Fitting Kourkoutis, G. Hammerl, C. Richter, C.W. Schneider, T. Kopp, A.-S. Ruetschi, D. Jaccard, M. Gabay, D.A. Muller, J.-M. Triscone, and J. Mannhart
Science 317, 1196-1199 (2007)
- Tunable Quasi-Two-Dimensional Electron Gases in Oxide Heterostructures
Thiel, S., G. Hammerl, A. Schmehl, C.W. Schneider, and J. Mannhart
Science 313, 1942-1945 (2006)