The Scientific Facility "Interface Analysis" (Grenzflächen Analytik, GA) (headed by Prof. Dr. Ulrich Starke) provides service (and facilities) to quantify the chemical composition and to determine the electronic structure and the atomic geometry of solid-solid and gas-solid interfaces.
Research in the Interface Analysis group is directed towards the atomic and electronic structure of surfaces and thin films of technologically interesting materials like graphene and transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs). The goal of these research activities is a fundamental understanding of growth, interface and crystal formation and elecronic structure at the atomic scale. A major research project at present is the growth and manipulation of electronic properties of epitaxial graphene on SiC.
24/07/2023: New paper of our FOR 5242 on the intercalation of Pb under epitaxial graphene published in Advanced Materials Interfaces
04/07/2023: Philipp Rosenzweig has defended his PhD thesis on “Intercalated epitaxial graphene on SiC: Tunbable doping across van Hove filling and comtrol of the emerging band structure at the interface” with distinction! Congratulations to Philipp!
3 papers published within one week. Not too bad!
29/6/2022: Interlayer coupling of 2H-NbS2 published in Phys. Rev. B
28/6/2022: Pb intercalated graphene on SiC published in Phys. Rev. Research
22/06/2022: charge-transfer doping of silver monolayer beneath epitaxial graphene published in Phys. Rev. B.
31/02/2022: periodic pn-junctions of graphene published in Advanced Functional Materials.
01/01/2022: We are part of the newly established FOR5242
28/12/2021: metal organic layer coposites for high-performance electrocatalytic CO2 reduction accepted for publication in Angewandte Chemie
11/10/2021: Performance of magnesium-sulfur batteries published in Journal of Power Sources
10/08/2021: Paper on the intercalation of h-BN on Rh(111) with nanographene flakes published in Advanced Materials Interfaces
28/07/2021: Ultra-stable cycling of high capacity Sodium-sulfur Batteries published in Batteries & Supercaps
24/06/2021: Electronic strucutre of the bond disproportinated bismuthate Ag2BiO3 published in Phys. Rev. Mater.
21/06/2021: Structural transformation of a 2D surface confined network by metal coordination accepted for publication in Chemistry A European Journal
06/05/2021: Topological surface states in epitaxial zigzag graphene nanoribbons published in NanoLetters:
11/12/2020: One-dimensional graphene nanoribbons published in Nature Communications.:
This work was highlighted by MAX IV.
19/10/2020: Overdoping of graphene beyond the van Hove singularity published in Phys. Rev. Lett.
16/09/2020: Hydrogen-intercalated graphene on SiC as platform for hybrid superconductor devices published in Adv. Quantum Technol.:
- TOF-SIMS (Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry)
- High resolution PES (Photoelectron Spectroscopy)
- NanoESCA (Electron Spectroscopy for Chemical Analysis)
- AFM (Atomic Force Microscopy)
- Quantitative LEED (Low-Energy Electron Diffraction)
These techniques are supplemented by:
- Optical Profiler.
- Scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) and spectroscopy (STS) in collaboration with University of Konstanz and 4-probe STM in collaboration with University of Chemnitz.
- Synchrotron expertise: angle-resolved photoelectron spectroscopy (ARPES), x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), photoemission electron microscopy (PEEM), low-energy electron microscopy (LEEM), x-ray magnetic circular dichroism (XMCD), near edge x-ray absorption fine structure (NEXAFS), high energy grazing incidence x-ray diffraction (GXRD).
- Epitaxial graphene on SiC
- Intercalation and doping of epitaxial graphene on SiC
- Structured epitaxial graphene
- 2D materials
- Molecular layers on surfaces